This buttered rice is a simple side dish that’s perfect to whip up when you need something quick and easy. It’s full of buttery flavor, you could practically eat the rice all by itself!Jump to Recipe
We all need side dish recipes that are quick and easy and mindless to throw together. This buttered rice could not fit the bill any better. I take plain white rice and use 2 ingredients to transform this into a flavorful buttery side.
What makes this buttered rice extra special?
- Better Than Bouillon Base
If you love the flavor of butter than you know that butter makes everything better. This recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon but it makes a huge difference. I like using salted butter so I don’t have to season the rice, but if you’re trying to watch your salt intake use unsalted butter.
Basic rice recipes call for water or broth. I like to substitute with better than bouillon roasted chicken base. This stuff is like liquid gold in a jar. Better than bouillon base is basically a super concentrated stock that cooks much longer and results in a richer, more intense flavor. However, it is saltier than using store-bought broth and a little goes a long way. You’ll want to follow the manufactures instructions on the back of the jar when adding it to water; 1 teaspoon per 8 ounces of water.
Check it out here!
Please note that some of the links on my website are affiliate links. Meaning, I receive a commission if you decide to purchase through my links at no extra cost to you! The product links at the bottom and throughout my posts are products I’ve used and/or recommend.
My favorite rice to use for this recipe is long-grain white rice, it comes out fluffy and light. You can also use jasmine, basmati or brown rice. Just follow the manufactures cooking instructions for the rice and add the bouillon base to the liquid along with the butter.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tsp better than bouillon roasted chicken base
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a liquid measuring bowl add hot tap water along with the bouillon base and butter. Whisk until base has dissolved in the water.
- Add liquid to a medium size sauce pan with fitted lid and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and pop on the lid. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Add pepper to the rice and fluff with a fork. Enjoy!
Here are a few more of my favorite kitchen essentials and recommendations for this recipe.