Chicken Tostadas With Chili lime sour cream
Jump to Recipe
I don’t know about you but I think tostadas are so much fun to eat. I love building all those yummy layers and it’s fun to let the family get involved and make their own. Each person has their unique way, but no matter how you stack the goodies, it is sure to be delicious.
These chicken tostadas are unapologetically simple. Beans, cheese, seasoned chicken breast, a sprinkle of crunchy lettuce, and a little Pico for that authentic taste. What really makes these special though, is the chili lime sour cream. If you haven’t had chili powder and fresh lime juice mixed with sour cream, you are in for a treat. It’s so ordinary but has this zip that keeps you coming back for more. Don’t let that pretty drizzle fool you in the photos. We each had our own spoon in the bowl for extra helpings. 🤭
Chicken Tostadas with Chili Lime Sour Cream
- 8 regular size tostada shells Guerrero brand is my favorite
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken, about 2 cups use a store-bought rotisserie chicken to make it even easier
- 16 oz can, low fat black refried beans
- 8 oz pre-shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese
- store-bought or fresh Pico
- shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup light sour cream full fat Greek yogurt can be replaced with the sour cream and will not change the calories
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 lime
- red onion
Roasting chicken breast
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a small sheet pan with foil and season chicken breast with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. You'll just sprinkle a little of each on both sides. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165°F. Remove and shred with two forks.
Chili lime sour cream
- Combine sour cream, chili powder and the squeeze of 1/2 a lime in small bowl. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Prepare ingredients – Heat oven to 325°F
- Heat tostadas on large sheet pan in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes until hot and slightly toasted. Turn off oven and keep warm until ready to use.
- In a small sauce pan or microwavable dish, heat the refried black beans until hot and bubbly. Keep warm until ready to assemble tostadas.
- Lay out tostada toppings on large surface so everyone can build their own.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of refried beans on warm tostada.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of Mexican cheese blend.
- Layer on some shredded chicken.
- Add lettuce, Pico and any other toppings you'd like.
- Drizzle chili lime sour cream over the top. TIP: Transfer the sour cream mixture to a small zip lock bag and cut a tiny section off the corner to make it easier for drizzling.
Below you’ll find some of the products I used in this recipe. The link takes you directly to the products without having to spend time searching!