A fun dip that’s perfect for sharing and everyone always loves. Cowboy Caviar is full of fresh, hearty ingredients like – beans, tomatoes, onions, avocado, roasted corn, peppers and spices, all tossed in a simple dressing.Jump to Recipe
Cowboy Caviar has been a favorite in our family for many years. It’s like salsa only heartier and more filling. There are many variations and I really haven’t found one I didn’t enjoy. The recipe I’m sharing with you is my #1 go-to. It has so much flavor and great texture, I think you’ll really love it!
What Is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy Caviar, also known as Texas caviar, is a colorful salad made with black eyed peas, black beans, tomatoes, corn, peppers, onions, and cilantro. It’s traditionally dressed with Italian dressing. It was given its name as a humorous comparison to the true caviar, an expensive hors d’oeuvre of salt-cured fish roe.
Cowboy Caviar Ingredients:
Here is the base of this recipe-
- Black eyed peas
- Black beans
- Roasted corn
- Bell peppers
- Red onion
- Balsamic vinegar
- Lime juice
Customize Cowboy Caviar:
The great thing about this recipe is you can customize it to your taste. Use whatever kind of beans you like and you can add or leave out the avocado. I like the balsamic and lime juice combo, but you can add a drizzle of olive oil for richness, or a splash of Italian dressing for extra zip. Freshly minced garlic gives it a boost of flavor and you can add in seasonings you love.
How To Make Cowboy Caviar:
Add all the ingredients including the dressings and the seasonings to a large bowl and toss well to combine. You’ll want to refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day before serving. This will give the flavors time to meld. Serve as a salad for an easy side dish, or a dip with your favorite tortilla chips.
Tips for Cowboy Caviar:
- I love using cherry tomatoes for fresh dips like this. Cherry tomatoes have extra sweetness and even in the off season they have great flavor.
- If you like the extra heat, dice the whole jalapeno including the seeds and membranes.
- Use fresh corn when in season. Char over an open flame or grill for 10 minutes flipping every few minutes. This makes it extra special.
- Serve as a side salad or a light lunch with diced roasted chicken or shrimp.
Other dips you might enjoy:
⭐Make Sure to Rate the recipe when you make it!⭐
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes I use cherry tomatoes
- 15 oz can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 oz can roasted corn, drained or 1 cup frozen thawed or fresh grilled corn
- 1/2 cup chopped peppers, red, yellow, or orange
- 1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno chopped fine, seeds and membranes removed leave in seeds for spicier caviar
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl starting with the beans and veggies and ending with the seasonings, balsamic vinegar, and lime juice. Toss gently until well combined. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Use Cherry Tomatoes- Cherry tomatoes have extra sweetness and even in the off season they have great flavor.
- Extra Spicy- If you like the extra heat, dice the whole jalapeno including the seeds and membranes.
- Fresh Corn- Use fresh corn when in season. Char over an open flame or grill for 10 minutes flipping every few minutes. This makes it extra special.
- More than a dip- Serve as a side salad or a light lunch with diced roasted chicken or shrimp.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9.6g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1.3g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22.6g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||29%|
|Total Sugars 3.2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
|Recipe analyzed by|
Please note that some of the links on my website are affiliate links. Meaning, I receive a commission if you decide to purchase through my links at no extra cost to you! The product links at the bottom of my posts are products I’ve used and/or recommend.
2 thoughts on “Cowboy Caviar”
Holy cow!! The flavors in this Cowboy Caviar are addictive. I had everything my pantry which made it convenient. It is so colorful and pleasing to the eye that it makes a perfect appetizer for entertaining(not to mention how delicious it is).
I’m so glad you loved this! We couldn’t stop making it over the summer!