Layered Green Salad
If you were born in the 1970’s then you’ve probably had layered green salad. A crunchy cool green lettuce salad layered with veggies, cheese, bacon, and creamy ranch dressing. This common potluck favorite is an easy side dish everyone always loves.Jump to Recipe
My mom made a green salad with just about every meal when I was growing up so naturally I love all kinds of salads. This Layered Green Salad is fresh and crisp and even if you don’t like salad, I’m going to bet you will love this one.
This salad is great for sharing at potlucks or family dinners. Everyone always loves it and I never have leftovers. I say this with humility, but it’s usually the most talked about side dish whenever I bring it to share. It’s that good!
There are many versions of a Layered Green Salad and there are no rules when it comes to the ingredients. As long as you start with the lettuce and end with the dressing you’re good to go!
What ingredients are in Layered Green Salad?
- Iceberg lettuce
- Red onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Frozen Peas
- Green onions
- Light sour cream
- Fresh parsley
- Dried dill
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Low fat milk
- Black pepper
How To Make Layered Salad:
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together until creamy and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a wide, deep glass bowl (this way you can see the layers) layer the first 7 salad ingredients. Pour dressing evenly over the top of the peas and top with crumbled bacon and green onion.
Can I make this in advance?
Yes! This can be made 1 day in advance. I usually set the bacon aside and add it just before serving so it’s nice and crisp.
Can I use prepped store-bought veggies?
Fresh vegetables are better. The veggies do take some time to prep, but trust me when I say, store-bought prepped vegetables just aren’t the same in this salad. The fresher the veggies, the crunchier the salad, and aside from the delicious dressing, the cool crunchy factor is what makes this so good.
Use What You Love.
Use any kind of veggie or ingredient you love to customize your Layered Green Salad.
- Red, green or bell peppers
- Dried cranberries
- Sliced almonds or sunflower seeds
- Garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- Hard boiled eggs
- Shredded chicken
Other Salad Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Matti’s Best Taco Salad
- Quick Chinese Chicken Salad
- Cauliflower Salad
- Berry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Rate The Recipe⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I appreciate your comments and reviews! Be sure to leave a comment or rating below for suggestions, questions, or if you make the recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!
Layered Green Salad
- 6 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped, about 1/2 large head
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots, about 3 large carrots
- 1 1/2 cups english cucumber, diced small, about 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 medium size tomatoes, diced small cherry tomatoes halved work well
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed and well drained
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp ranch seasoning mix
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl whisk all the dressing ingredients well. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a wide, deep glass bowl (this way you can see the layers) layer the first 7 salad ingredients.
- Pour dressing evenly over the top of the peas and top with crumbled bacon and green onion.
- Note: If making ahead, set aside the bacon and green onion until just before serving. Cover the bowl with lid or plastic wrap and place in fridge up to one day. Additional notes below.
- Red, green or yellow bell peppers
- Chopped artichoke hearts
- Finley chopped broccoli or cauliflower
- Frozen or fresh corn
- Sunflower seeds (add to the top)
- Dried Cranberries
- Shredded chicken
- Blue cheese (add to the top)
Please note that some of the links on my website are affiliate links. Meaning, I receive a commission if you decide to purchase through my links at no extra cost to you! The product links at the bottom of my posts are products I’ve used and/or recommend.