Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Bursting with juicy blueberries and a bright lemony flavor. Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake is light and moist and the perfect treat to break in the weekend.Jump to Recipe
One of our favorite things to do around here in the summer is to find u-pick farms and go blueberry picking. It’s peaceful and fun, and so easy to walk away with a bounty of blueberries at a fair price. It’s also a great way to stock up so we can enjoy them during the cooler months.
Oregon is one of the top blueberry producing states in the nation and you can find a variety of farms within just a few miles of each other. We’re pretty lucky!
One of the best ways to enjoy frozen berries throughout the year is in baked goods like this Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake. The berries are every bit as juicy, plump, and flavorful. Plus, they add extra moisture to muffins and cakes so they don’t dry out.
I love how easy this breakfast cake comes together. Using simple, wholesome ingredients like – flour, butter, unsweetened applesauce, sugar, buttermilk, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and frozen blueberries. It gives off the most wonderful scent while it bakes and tastes absolutely heavenly.
I think this Blueberry Breakfast Cake is perfectly sweet as is, but if you want a bit more sweetness and lemon flavor, this simple lemon glaze is excellent for this cake.😉
Other recipes you might enjoy-
⭐Make sure to rate the recipe when you make it!⭐
Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1/4 cup softend butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk see notes for buttermilk substitutes
- 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare an 8 or 9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. I used an 8×7-inch oblong baking dish for this recipe.
- In a small bowl combine blueberries with 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl on medium speed, using a stand or hand held mixer combine applesauce, softened butter, 3/4 cup sugar, and lemon zest until fluffy and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and combine.
- To the wet ingredients add 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, salt and buttermilk. With large spoon, fold until mixture is almost combined. Add in blueberries, leaving the excess flour behind. Fold blueberries gently into the batter until incorporated and you don't see anymore loose bits of flour. Be careful not to mash the berries. The mixture will be thick.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and smooth out evenly. Sprinkle the top with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and bake for 45-60 minutes. Baking times will vary slightly depending on the size of pan and oven type. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is deep golden brown.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. See recipe notes under tips for lemon glaze. Enjoy!
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 3.9g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34.6g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5%|
|Total Sugars 23.9g|
|Vitamin D 6mcg||30%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
|Recipe analyzed by|
Please note that some of the links on my website are affiliate links. Meaning, I receive a commission if you decide to purchase through my links at no extra cost to you! The product links at the bottom of my posts are products I’ve used and/or recommend.