Lemony Orzo with Herbs
Jump to Recipe
This week it’s all about the sides! Searching for the right side dish can often take more time than finding the main course. Do you agree? I think this is why we stock up on canned goods; green beans, corn, etc…it’s effortless. While it certainly comes in handy sometimes, it’s nice to have other options.
The recipes I’ll be sharing this week are not effortless, but they are easy, and take very little time to prepare. Like this Lemony Orzo and Herbs; it basically takes 20 minutes from start to finish and tastes like something served out of a gourmet restaurant. The flavor is so bright and fresh. The Orzo is cooked in broth with onions, garlic, and lemon until it’s perfectly creamy. Very similar to risotto only it’s pasta! This side dish is delicious with roasted chicken, fish and pork; or go vegetarian and add roasted asparagus or fresh green beans and make it a meal. Whatever you choose, you will love this simple pasta.
Lemony Orzo with Herbs
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried dill if using fresh use 1 teaspoon
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes if using fresh use 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Have all your ingredients ready to go before you start cooking as this comes together quickly.
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the Orzo, Italian seasoning, dill, and parsley. Toast the orzo, stirring often for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, followed by the lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. You'll need to keep an eye on the orzo the last 3 or 4 minutes of the cooking time to prevent the orzo from sticking to the pan. Just make sure you're stirring often. If it becomes to thick, add a little more chicken broth. You will have very little broth left by the end of the cooking time. It should be nice and creamy. Taste to see if it needs more salt and pepper.
Below you’ll find some of the products I used in this recipe. The link takes you directly to the products without having to spend time searching!
2 thoughts on “Lemony Orzo with Herbs”
Can’t wait to try this! I love lemons and lemon flavored food and drinks 😊 it looks delish!
I think you’ll love this for sure!