Mom’s Hamburger Soup
Mom’s Hamburger Soup is a childhood favorite made with ground beef, potatoes, green beans, peas and carrots, in a rich mouthwatering tomato broth. A heartwarming meal made with love just like mom did.Jump to Recipe
I call this Mom’s Hamburger Soup because this meal was a staple in my home when I was growing up. I remember how wonderful the house would smell when mom was simmering a pot of hamburger soup. This was one of her easy whip up meals on busy nights but it always tasted like she had been cooking it all day.
Each time my mom made hamburger soup it was a little different every time. That’s because it’s the perfect kind of soup to add what you have on hand. It’s also a great recipe when you need to clear out the veggie drawer to make room for fresher produce.
The tomato beef broth is made with fire roasted tomatoes which is the perfect foundation for the ground beef and potatoes to simmer in. You’ll love how filling and heartwarming this soup is. Thanks mom. 🤍
Ingredients For Mom’s Hamburger Soup:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Lean ground beef
- Tomato paste
- Canned fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Beef broth
- Canned green beans
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
Optional Veggies For Hamburger Soup:
- Frozen corn
Ground Meat That Works Well In Hamburger Soup:
While ground beef is the traditional ground meat used for hamburger soup, ground turkey and even Italian sausage would work well. I would still recommend using beef broth for a rich beefy flavor.
Why Do You Add Brown Sugar?
Brown sugar not only adds depth (thanks to the molasses) but can also help cut acidity from the tomatoes that can sometimes taste bitter. A touch of sugar can be really helpful to balance the flavor.
Step By Step How To Make Mom’s Hamburger Soup:
Step 1. Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven to medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, and celery to the pot. Sauté until veggies have softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Step 2. Add ground beef and cook breaking into crumbles until no longer pink. Remove the excess grease and stir in tomato paste. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
Step 3. Add seasonings, crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, beef stock, and potatoes. Stir to combine and bring to a medium boil. Cook until potatoes are tender.
Step 4. Stir in frozen peas and carrots, green beans, and fresh parsley. Cook another 5 minutes to heat the veggies through and serve!
Can I Freeze Hamburger Soup?
Yes! Make sure to cool the soup completely then place in freezer safe containers. Soup can be kept in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What Can I Serve With Hamburger Soup?
Other Soups You Might Enjoy:
Rate The Recipe⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I appreciate your comments and reviews! Be sure to leave a comment or rating below for suggestions, questions, or if you make the recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!
Mom’s Hamburger Soup
- 1 large soup pot or Dutch oven
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 2 celery sticks, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (28) ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 (14.5) ounce can green beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Cook 2-3 minutes just until softened. Stir in garlic and cook another 1 minute.
- Add ground beef to the veggies and cook breaking into crumbles until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Remove any excess grease. Stir in tomato paste and cook another 1-minute. Toasting the tomato paste adds a lot of flavor.
- To the ground beef add crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, beef broth, and potatoes. Stir to combine and bring to a medium boil. Cook 12-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are cooked turn the heat down to low and stir in green beans, frozen peas and carrots, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve!
- Frozen corn
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10.1g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58.9g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.6g||38%|
|Total Sugars 16.6g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
Note: Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra charge to you.
This rich and mildly spiced Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate made with chocolate chips, half and half, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, and chili powder. Every sip is silky smooth, it’s like a big hug from heaven! Why You’ll Love Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate: When…
Cocktail Sweet and Sour Meatballs is a classic party food for all occasions. Made with simple homemade turkey meatballs and a 3-ingredient sweet and sour sauce. An easy appetizer everyone enjoys! What You’ll Love About Cocktail Sweet and Sour Meatballs: These Cocktail Sweet and Sour…
A deliciously sweet, salty, and sticky appetizer everyone will absolutely love and devour. Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts is the perfect one bite hors d’oeuvre. Crisp water chestnuts wrapped with bacon and smothered in a sweet chili sauce. So easy and so good! What You’ll Love…