Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Loaded with melt in your mouth tender beef and plenty of veggies in a rich thick broth. Slow Cooker Beef Stew is the ultimate comfort food that feels like a big warm hug.Jump to Recipe
When beef stew is cooking in my kitchen it takes me right back to my childhood. My mom would make a big pot to enjoy after church on Sundays with a side of buttermilk biscuits. It was always so cozy and comforting.
This Slow Cooker Beef Stew is flavorful and full of tender chunks of meat, potatoes, carrots, and a few simple spices. The broth is thick just the way we like it, which makes it all the better for dunking a big slice of crusty bread in.
The most important step in creating the best flavor for beef stew is browning the meat first. This only takes a few extra minutes but it makes a big difference. I also cook the onions and garlic in the same pan and then use a little beef broth to break up the bits from the bottom of the pan. This little bit of flavor adds so much richness to the stew.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Irish Stew Over Mashed Potatoes
- Pot Roast Stew With Pearl Barley
- Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
- Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Casserole
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
⭐Make Sure To Rate The Recipe When You Make It!⭐
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 1 6 Qt Slow Cooker
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs stew meat cut in 1-inch pieces (also known as chuck roast) You can usually find this already cut and packaged with fat trimmed at the grocery store.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups beef broth, divided I use better than bouillon roasted beef base for best flavor
- 3 cups potatoes cut in 1-inch pieces If using russet make sure to peel potatoes first
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 all-purpose or gluten free flour
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep all ingredients first for a quick and easy process.
- Start by heating a large deep skillet to medium high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper, about a teaspoon each. Add olive oil and 1/2 of the stew meat to the hot skillet. Brown on all sides until golden and transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet and toast stirring constantly about 2 minutes or just until softened, being careful not to burn the garlic. You may need to turn down the heat. When veggies have softened add 1/4 cup beef broth and begin scrapping the bits from the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon. Transfer onions, garlic, and any remaining liquid from pan to slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker with the beef and onions, add carrots, potatoes, tomato paste, spices, bay leaves, and remaining 2 1/2 cups beef broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place lid on and cook for 5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low. Meat should be super tender.
- Once meat and veggies are soft, in a small bowl add the flour and 1/2 cup liquid from slow cooker. I usually use my ladle. Stir until it's mostly smooth and thick. Stir this mixture into the stew, place the lid on and cook another 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Bone-in-short rib
- Butternut squash
- Sweet potatoes
Please note that some of the links on my website are affiliate links. Meaning, I receive a commission if you decide to purchase through my links at no extra cost to you! The product links at the bottom of my posts are products I’ve used and/or recommend.