Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
Chicken slow cooked in a simple marinade of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns. A classic Filipino stew that’s easy to make and so delicious. Serve over hot rice with plenty of broth and sliced green onions.Jump to Recipe
Chicken Adobo is the kind of meal that’s ideal for busy weeknights yet cozy enough for lazy weekend suppers. Aside from it being so darn delicious, it’s practically an effortless meal to prepare. All the ingredients (6 total) get tossed in the slow cooker, and in 5 hours you have tender fall apart chicken in a rich adobo sauce. If I have the extra time, I like to broil the chicken for a few seconds in the oven to caramelize the edges just before serving. This meal also makes great leftovers, it’s so good!
What Is Chicken Adobo?
Classic Chicken Adobo originated in the Philippines and became a popular dish known for it’s tender meat braised in a rich sauce. Adobo is a simple marinade/brine using soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, herbs and spices; a slightly sweet and sour broth that’s appropriately salty with a touch of heat. This dish can also be made with pork chops. It’s so simple yet incredibly flavorful.
What Do I Serve With Chicken Adobo?
Rice is a traditional bed for Chicken Adobo, however Quinoa, Couscous, or Mashed Potatoes are equally good. Anything that will soak up that delicious broth is perfect! And if you enjoy a little heat, the peppercorns become tender as they cook in the liquid so don’t leave those out when you plate up! We like to garnish with sliced green onions because it really compliments the flavors, but cilantro and parsley will work as well.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Pork
- Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Casserole
- Slow Cooker Spanish Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Potatoes And Jalapeños
⭐Don’t Forget To Rate The Recipe When You Try It!⭐
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
- 4 thin chicken breasts, or 2 large breasts sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 green onions, sliced or fresh cilantro and parsley
- Rice for serving
- Add chicken pieces to a 6 quart slow cooker. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the top of chicken. Place the lid on and cook for 5 hours on low.
- Once chicken is cooked, place on large sheet pan and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until browned in spots. Place back in crock pot with liquid until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken over rice with a generous helping of sauce and garnish with green onions or herbs.
- Mashed Potatoes