Creamy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Your family will love this Creamy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Skillet. A one-pan meal that’s easy to make with fantastic flavor. Also low-carb and gluten free options!Jump to Recipe
If you’ve spent some time on my website you know I love my one-pan/one-skillet meals. They are perfect for the busy weekdays but honestly I just appreciate not having the extra pots and pans to wash. It’s fun to watch the magic happen in one single skillet or pan while I pull together a recipe.
This Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Skillet is an inspiration from my popular Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Soup. Another easy one-pot dinner. Green chilis are also one of my favorite ingredients. They are not spicy and have a sweet and tangy flavor, which is perfect for Mexican style dishes.
I use easy short cuts for this Chicken Enchilada Skillet using pre-shredded slow cooker chicken that I’ve made ahead for weekly meal plans. I also use a big can of store-brand green chili enchilada sauce for ease, but you can definitely make homemade.
Ingredients For Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Skillet:
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper (or any color)
- Garlic clove
- Light sour cream
- Light cream cheese
- Green enchilada sauce
- Tortillas (flour, corn, low carb, or gluten free)
- Shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or cheddar)
- Green onion
Step By Step Instructions:
Step 1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
Step 2. Heat olive oil to medium in a large cast iron skillet or other large skillet that can go into the oven. Add onions, peppers, and garlic. Sauté until the veggies are tender then stir in the cumin.
Step 3. Add half of the enchilada sauce, then the sour cream and cream cheese to the veggies. Stir until smooth. Fold in the cooked chicken until well combined.
Step 4. Gently stir half of the tortillas into the chicken mixture, then scatter the remaining tortillas on top, followed by the remaining enchilada sauce, then top with shredded cheese.
Step 5. Bake until bubbly and hot then garnish with fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions.
You will love the simplicity of this one-skillet meal and the flavor factor will be a hit with your family. This would also be a great meal to make and share with a loved one or someone in need. Make the recipe as directed up until topping with the second half of the tortillas, enchilada sauce and cheese. Transfer the chicken mixture to a disposable baking dish and finish the rest of the steps.
Low-Carb & Gluten-Free Options:
This dish can also be made low-carb and gluten free by swapping out the tortillas for your favorite brand, along with using gluten-free green enchilada sauce like Hatch, La Preferida, or La Victoria.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Rate The Recipe⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I appreciate your comments and reviews! Be sure to leave a comment or rating below for suggestions, questions, or if you make the recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!
Creamy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced any color bell pepper will work
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups Green chili enchilada sauce, divided I use all but a 1/4 cup of a 28 ounce can
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 4 ounces light softened cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 10 tortillas cut into 1-inch squares, divided flour, large corn, gluten free, or low carb work great
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped tomatoes
- fresh cilantro
- sliced green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Heat olive oil to medium heat in a large cast iron skillet or other large skillet that can go into the oven. Add onions, peppers, and garlic. Sauté until the veggies are tender then stir in cumin.
- Add 1/2 of the enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1/4 cup cream cheese to the veggies. Stir together until smooth and well combined. Fold in the cooked chicken.
- Gently stir half of the tortillas into the chicken mixture, then scatter the remaining tortillas on top. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas then top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Top with fresh chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and green onion slices.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 22.9g
|Saturated Fat 10.9g
|Total Carbohydrate 21.8g
|Dietary Fiber 9.7g
|Total Sugars 3.6g
|Vitamin D 0mcg
Note: Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra charge to you.