Easy Veggie Lo Mein
Jump to Recipe
Lo Mein is always my go-to when we treat ourselves to Chinese take-out. Something about noodles all sauced up with lots of veggies tempts me every time. I love a good Lo Mein with beef, chicken, or shrimp, but what I’m really after are all those veggies.
As I’ve mentioned in my previous posts, I like to incorporate at least one vegetarian recipe on our weekly menu. I think it’s important to get proteins from other sources besides meat. I am a happy carnivore, but I love my veggies. This Veggie Lo Mein recipe is just as good as any take out, maybe better! It’s healthy and relatively easy to put together. The prep takes a bit more time with all those fresh veggies, but it’s worth it. Plus, this recipe can still be part of your busy weeknight menu, if you plan right.
Noodles sautéed in a tasty Asian sauce and tossed with all kinds of fresh vegetables. Mmmm….
Easy Veggie Lo Mein
- 6 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp flavored oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp siracha
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp corn starch
Veggie Lo Mein
- 10 oz Lo Mein noodles can substitute linguine or soba noodles
- 2 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 cups brocoli florets
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced thin cremini and shiitake work as well
- 4 oz bag sugar snap or snow peas
- 1 small zucchini, sliced in thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and julienned
- 14 oz can baby corn
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
Tip: Before you start the cooking process, make sure you have all the ingredients ready to go as the meal comes together quickly.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Strain, rinse, and incorporate 1/2 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil. Set noodles aside.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, minus the corn starch, and set aside.
Heat wok or large skillet to medium high heat
- Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Sauté for 1 minute being careful not to burn the garlic. You may need to adjust the heat.
- Add carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and 1/2 the sauce. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the snap peas, zucchini, baby corn, bell pepper, and water chestnuts. Cook 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir the corn starch into the remaining sauce and pour over the veggies. Cook 1-2 minutes to thicken a bit. Add the noodles tossing to coat in the sauce and warm through, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with toasted sesame oil and sliced green onions.