Yellow Squash Zucchini Bread
Zucchini bread made with yellow summer squash, olive oil, applesauce, whole grain flour, and warm spices. It’s simple yet moist and tender. Add a smear of butter if you want to go the extra mile but it is delicious all on its own.Jump to Recipe
Zucchini bread has to be one of my favorite baked goods I don’t make often enough. It’s the perfect intro into fall using up garden fresh zucchini. I love having a thick slice for breakfast with scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee. So yummy.
Is there a difference between yellow and green zucchini?
The only difference between the two besides the color is yellow zucchini/squash is just a bit sweeter than green. They are both similar in texture and flavor and can be treated equally the same. Zucchini is low in sugar and is a great source of folate and potassium. There are endless ways to use and incorporate zucchini in your baking and cooking. Plus, it’s mild in flavor making it the perfect veggie to hide in casseroles and soups if you have picky eaters.
Can I substitute other vegetables in this recipe?
Absolutely! Here are a few different veggies you can swap out for zucchini or squash, or use a combination of both!
- Patty pan
How do I freeze zucchini bread?
This recipe makes two loaves so unless I share the second loaf with a friend (which is a great idea btw) I almost always freeze it. Make sure the loaf is completely cooled before packing in the freezer. You’ll want to wrap tightly with plastic wrap and a layer of foil and place in a sealed Ziploc bag. You can freeze the bread whole or slice it first. Slicing it makes it easier if you don’t want to completely thaw the entire loaf. It usually breaks away easily or you can run a knife through the slices. Zucchini bread lasts 3-4 months in freezer.
Here are a variety of ways to customize zucchini bread:
- Flour- This recipe calls for half all-purpose and half white wheat flour or use one or the other.
- Spices- Cinnamon is a classic spice in zucchini bread but not limited. Add 1 tsp of cinnamon along with 1/4 tsp each of ginger, nutmeg, all-spice, and cardamom, equaling 1 tsp.
- Nuts and seeds- Use 1 cup of finely chopped nuts like – walnuts, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, and pistachios.
- Oils and butter- Use other oils like coconut, vegetable, canola, avocado, or sub out the oil for melted butter.
- Baking chips- Add in 1 cup of your favorite baking chips like – mini chocolate chips, dark chocolate, butterscotch chips, or white chocolate.
Yellow Squash Zucchini Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup no-sugar added apple sauce
- 1 lemon zested, about 2 tsp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded yellow or green zucchini, about 2-3 medium size zucchini- Do not squeeze out liquid see notes below for using other vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon, plus more for dusting on top use other spices like, nutmeg, ginger, all spice, and cardamom… see notes below
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- nuts optional- see notes below
Preheat oven to 350°F and coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl combine flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl add eggs, sugar, oil, apple sauce, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Fold in Zucchini until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and gently mix until the batter starts to come together. If using baking chips or nuts, add those in at this time and fold until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter evenly in prepared loaf pans, smooth out the top, and sprinkle on a little extra cinnamon.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack to cool another 20-30 minutes before cutting into.
- Patty pan
- Sunflower seeds
- Mini chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- White chocolate chips
You might also enjoy these baked goods-
- Lightened-Up Banana Bread with Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- Lemon Poppy-Seed Tea Bread
- Ultimate Chocolate Banana Bread
Here are a few of my favorite kitchen essentials and recommendations for everyday cooking.