Chicken Noodle Casserole
This hearty Chicken Noodle Casserole is a comforting and satisfying dinner the whole family will enjoy. Made with tender egg noodles, shredded chicken, lots of veggies, and a savory cream sauce. We top it with buttery panko crumbs for the ultimate comfort food supper.Jump to Recipe
Tis the season for cozy comfort food and this Chicken Noodle Casserole will be sure to satisfy those cravings. This casserole will win over any picky eater because who doesn’t love chicken and noodles? You can easily customize the veggies and use what you or your family enjoys.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
This almost one-pot meal, and cousin to chicken noodle soup, has everything you need for a complete dinner. While it does resemble the flavors of chicken noodle soup, this casserole is much heartier and filling.
Ingredients For Chicken Noodle Casserole:
- Olive oil
- Small yellow onion
- Frozen mixed veggies (I use peas and carrots)
- Celery stalks
- Wide egg noodles (cooked according to package directions for al dente)
- Chicken breast
- Seasonings- dried rosemary, thyme, and ground sage
- Can cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Milk or half and half
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Panko crumbs
- Melted butter
- Grated parmesan
- Fresh or dried parsley
Use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for a faster and easier meal prep. If I have this recipe on my meal plan for the week, I will often times slow cook 2-3 chicken breasts over the weekend and use in meals like this during the week. This saves so much time!
While freshly shredded and grated cheese is always better, save a little time with a quality store-bought brand.
If you have an oven safe pan this will reduce the amount of pans you have to wash. Just make sure your oven safe pan can endure 375℉.
Step by Step How To Make Chicken Noodle Casserole:
Step 1. Preheat oven to 375℉. Heat a large oven safe skillet to medium heat and add olive oil. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides and sear until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and shred or dice in small pieces.
Step 2. Add more olive oil to the hot pan and sauté onions and celery until softened. Stir in garlic and cook another minute. Add frozen veggies and seasonings. Cook just until veggies are heated through. Turn off the heat.
Step 3. To the veggies add cream of chicken, sour cream, milk, cheese, and chicken. Stir to combine then fold in cooked egg noodles until all the noodles are coated in the cream sauce. Smooth out in a single layer.
Step 4. In a small bowl combine panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, and butter. Scatter the crumb mixture over the top of the noodles. Bake in the oven for 30-minutes until panko crumbs are light golden brown, then top with fresh or dried parsley.
Make ahead and freeze:
This meal is perfect to make ahead and enjoy on those crazy nights you don’t have time to prepare dinner.
Follow the cooking instructions for Chicken Noodle Casserole. Before adding the panko crumbs, transfer the chicken and noodle mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. I like to have disposable baking ware in this case and it makes clean up a breeze! These are also great to have on hand if you’re sharing a meal with someone in need. Top the noodles with the panko mixture and cover with two layers of foil. Freeze for up to 4 months.
To reheat, you’ll want to thaw in the refrigerator a day in advance. Preheat oven to 350℉ and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the noodle mixture is heated through.
Other Casseroles You Might Enjoy:
- Creamy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Casserole
- Bacon Ranch Chicken and Potatoes Casserole
Rate The Recipe⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I appreciate your comments and reviews! Be sure to leave a comment or rating below for suggestions, questions, or if you make the recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 2 tbso olive oil, divided
- 2 medium size chicken breast see notes for precooked chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small, about 3/4 cup
- 12 ounce bag frozen peas and carrots or favorite veggie blend
- 2 celery stalks diced small, about 1/2 cup
- 3 1/2 cups dry wide egg noodles, cooked al dente, do not rinse Follow manufactures instructions
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup 2% milk or half and half
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper, plus more for seasoning chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 375℉. If you don't have an oven safe skillet, spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet (if oven safe, make sure it's 12-inches round with 3-inch deep sides) to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season chicken breast on both sides with a little salt and pepper then place in hot skillet with olive oil. Cook 5-7 minutes on each side until an internal temperature reaches 165℉.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and shred or dice into small pieces. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp olive olive to hot pan and sauté onions and celery until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another 1-minute. Add frozen veggies and seasonings and cook just until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once veggies are heated through, turn off the heat and add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, cheese, and cooked chicken. Stir to combine then fold in cooked egg noodles until all the noodles are coated in the cream sauce. Smooth out in a single layer.
- In a small bowl combine panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, and butter. Scatter the crumb mixture over the top of the noodles. Bake in the oven for 30-minutes or until the panko crumbs are light golden brown. Top with fresh parsley and serve!
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 35.7g
|Saturated Fat 17.2g
|Total Carbohydrate 44.1g
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g
|Total Sugars 7g
|Vitamin D 6mcg
Note: Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra charge to you.
Sheet Pan Breakfast Quesadillas filled with fluffy eggs, green chiles, lots of cheese, and crispy tater tots. A hearty and delicious way to enjoy breakfast any time of the day. Why You’ll Love Sheet Pan Breakfast Quesadillas: We love making quesadillas because it’s an easy…