Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Rice Casserole (One-Pot Meal)
A one-pot meal your family will absolutely love! Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Rice Casserole is made without any canned soup; only wholesome, simple ingredients. Use leftover chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken for a super fast weeknight meal.Jump to Recipe
I have tried and tested many Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casseroles and honestly, I find the results to be kind of boring. I love the combination of these ingredients so I was determined to find one I could be proud to share with my family, and you!
With inspiration from Natasha at Salt & Lavender I was able to create a flavorful packed dish my family and I absolutely love! It’s creamy and hearty, and has unique spices like dried mustard and Worcestershire sauce. It has a touch of heat but not spicy, plus the entire meal happens in one-pot! You could definitely serve this with a salad or a slice of French bread but honestly it’s filling enough on it’s own.
One of the ways I keep this recipe simple is by purchasing a store-bought rotisserie chicken. These already have seasonings so it really boosts the flavor of this dish. Plus, there is usually plenty left for another meal during the week. Like my Hearty Chicken Noddle Soup or my Easy Chicken Salad with Bacon.
If you really want to keep this recipe simple, use frozen broccoli florets in place of fresh. And store-bought shredded cheese is always nice in a pinch. Although for best results, fresh is always better. 😉
Traditionally Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole is very basic in seasonings. One of my favorite simple flavor boosters is Ground Mustard, (affiliate link). You won’t even know it’s in there but it really bumps up the overall taste. A touch of Worcestershire sauce (affiliate link) is another way to add flavor to your recipes. It has all the elements- sweet, sour, salty, and savory. A little goes a long way!
I am confidant you will love this comforting casserole and make it a new family favorite on rotation!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Chicken and Broccoli Divan Casserole
- Enchilada Casserole with Toasted Corn Chips
- Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Casserole
⭐Don’t Forget To Rate The Recipe When You Try It!⭐
Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard see link below
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 3 cups chicken stock I use better than bullion chicken base
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken I use store-bought rotisserie, mostly breast meat
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut in small pieces (remove stems) frozen can be substituted
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish optional
It really helps to have all the ingredients prepped before you start cooking.
- Heat a large pot with fitted lid to medium heat and add oil, butter, and onions. Cook 3-4 minutes until onions are slightly softened. Add spices, salt, pepper, and rice. Cook 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add chicken stock and Worcestershire and turn heat to high to bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir and place lid on. Turn heat down to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid after the 15 minutes (there will still be a little liquid and that's ok) add chicken, broccoli, and half & half. Stir to combine and place lid back on for an addition 5-7 minutes until broccoli is cooked to your liking. I like my broccoli to be tender but not mushy.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup on top. Add parsley if desired and serve!
Please note that some of the links on my website are affiliate links. Meaning, I receive a commission if you decide to purchase through my links at no extra cost to you! The product links at the bottom of my posts are products I’ve used and/or recommend.