Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Rice Casserole (One-Pot Meal)
A one-pot meal your family will absolutely love! Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Rice Casserole is made without any canned soup; only wholesome, simple ingredients. Use leftover chicken or store-bought rotisserie for a super fast weeknight meal.Jump to Recipe
I have tried and tested many Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casseroles and honestly, I find the results to be kind of boring. I love the combination of these ingredients so I was determined to find one I could be proud to share with my family, and you!
With inspiration from Natasha at Salt & Lavender I was able to create a chicken and broccoli rice casserole my family and I absolutely love! It’s creamy and hearty, and has unique spices like dried mustard and Worcestershire sauce. It has a touch of heat but not spicy, and the best part is, the entire meal happens in one-pot! You could definitely serve this with a salad or a slice of French bread but it’s truly filling enough on its own.
Fast and Easy Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole:
One of the ways I keep this recipe simple and fast is by purchasing a store-bought rotisserie chicken. These already have seasonings so it really boosts the flavor of this dish, and the remaining chicken can be used for other recipes during the week like my Hearty Chicken Noddle Soup or Easy Chicken Salad with Bacon.
If you really want to keep this recipe simple, use frozen broccoli florets in place of fresh. And store-bought shredded cheese is always nice in a pinch. Although for best results fresh is always better. 😉
Traditional Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole has very basic seasonings. One of my favorite simple flavor boosters is Ground Mustard. This has a tangy heat and it’s perfect in dishes with cream and butter. I also use a touch of Worcestershire sauce. This is another way to add flavor to your savory recipes and a little goes a long way.
I am confidant you will love this comforting casserole and make it a new family favorite!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Chicken and Broccoli Divan Casserole
- Enchilada Casserole with Toasted Corn Chips
- Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Rate The Recipe⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I appreciate your comments and reviews! Be sure to leave a comment or rating below for suggestions, questions, or if you make the recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!
Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard see link below
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 3 cups chicken stock I use better than bullion chicken base
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken I use store-bought rotisserie, mostly breast meat
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut in small pieces (remove stems) frozen can be substituted
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish optional
It really helps to have all the ingredients prepped before you start cooking.
- Heat a large pot with fitted lid to medium heat. Add olive oil, butter, and onions. Cook 3-4 minutes until onions are slightly softened. Stir in rice and spices and toast for 2-minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and Worcestershire. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir and place lid on. Turn heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid after the 15 minutes (there will still be a little liquid and that's ok) add chicken, broccoli, and half & half. Stir to combine and turn up the heat to medium to get the mixture simmering again. Place the lid back on and turn the heat down to low and cook an additional 7-10 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked to your liking.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup on top. Add parsley if desired and serve!
Note: Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra charge to you.
Hungry Jack Casserole is a family favorite that’s pure comfort food. Ground beef and baked beans simmer with simple sauces and seasonings, then topped with biscuits and cheese for a satisfying and filling dinner. What You’ll Love About Hungry Jack Casserole: Hungry Jack Casserole was…
These Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas are a special and unique way to enjoy delicious Mexican flavors, vegetarian style. A quick and easy meal you can whip up in under an hour. What You’ll Love About Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas: I am…