Hawaiian Chicken Bowls
Jump to Recipe
Grilled chicken and veggies and yup, even the pineapple slices over fluffy brown rice with the easiest most delicious teriyaki sauce. So So Good!
We love making bowls for dinner. Everyone can choose their own toppings and dress it up however they please. They also make great weeknight meals. They are easy, healthy, and work perfect when you’re on-the-go.
These Hawaiian chicken bowls are so fresh and light, it’s like summer in a bowl. The smoky flavor from the grill really makes the chicken, veggies and pineapple extra special. Red peppers, onions, and zucchini happen to be my favorite combo, but use whatever fresh vegetables you like.
Along with all those grilled veggies and chicken, the sauce is equally good, easy to make, a so delicious. It’s the perfect combo of sweet and spicy. Bring the extras to the table because you’ll definitely go in for more.
The good news is, you don’t have to wait until summer to enjoy a meal like this. Using an indoor grill pan is a lifesaver for recipes like this when you want to grill during the cooler months. Not only does grilling give the food excellent flavor, cooking this way is proven to be better for you, so it’s a win win!
Hawaiian Chicken Bowls
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice from canned pineapple rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 20 oz can pineapple rings, you'll use about 6 rings reserve 2 tablespoons of juice for sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise
- 3 green onions sliced
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- olive oil
- 4 servings, cooked brown rice
- Combine all sauce ingredients (minus the cornstarch and 3 Tb of water) in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Mix the cornstarch and water until smooth and slowly add to the sauce. Whisk constantly until sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Keep warm.
- Heat a grill pan to medium high and drizzle with a little olive oil. Add peppers, onions and zucchini. Grill veggies turning once or twice, until charred in spots and tender crisp. I like my veggies a little crisp so cook them longer if you like them softer. Remove veggies and place on a large plate. Slice the zucchini in half moon shapes.
- Drizzle grill pan with a little more olive oil and add pineapple rings. Cook on first side about 3-4 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove the pineapple and cut rings into quarters. Place on the plate with veggies.
- Place chicken tenders on grill pan. You shouldn't need more oil at this point. Add a little more if the pan looks dry. Cook chicken on medium high for 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked all the way through. Remove from pan and slice in thin strips.
- Place a large scoop of rice in bowl and top with grilled chicken, veggies, and pineapple chunks. Drizzle the top generously with the warm teriyaki sauce. Top with fresh green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Below you’ll find some of the products I used in this recipe. The link takes you directly to the products without having to spend time searching!