Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
If you’re craving a bowl of warm soup or maybe you’re feeling a bit under the weather, you will love this Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup. So much flavor and so good for you!Jump to Recipe
The very first thing I think to make when the weather gets cold or someone isn’t feeling well is soup. It’s cozy and comforting and hits the spot every time. I love all kinds of soup but something about chicken noodle warms me to the soul. It’s also easy and I almost always have the ingredients on hand.
Chicken Soup Has Health Healing Properties.
The first thing most people think of when they’re not feeling well is chicken soup, and there’s a reason for that! Chicken broth is a great source of vitamins and minerals, the vegetables have vitamins K and C, and spices like turmeric and ginger offer tons of anti-inflammatories. It’s a no wonder I feel better after having chicken soup.
This Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup is loaded with lots of fresh vegetables, shredded chicken, noodles, and a rich broth flavored with good-for-you spices. It also has a touch of heat that really isn’t spicy it just adds another layer of warmth and comfort to the soup.
Boost The Flavor Of Chicken Soup.
My favorite way to enhance the flavor of chicken soup is by using roasted chicken better than bouillon base. (affiliate link) I love using these jars of gold in my soups and stews. The flavor of the stock is much richer and has more flavor than store-bought brands. By all means though, if a carton of chicken stock is what you have on hand it will still be delicious. 😉
Another flavor booster to add to chicken soup is freshly squeezed lemon juice. Adding a splash of lemon at the end of the cooking time really brightens the flavor and makes it extra special.
A Perfect Soup For Sharing.
Soup is also a great meal for sharing with a loved one or a family in need. Soup can be easily packed in food storage containers for transporting, and while you’re at it, throw in some freshly baked store-bought French bread. It is truly a heart warming gift.
⭐Make Sure To Rate The Recipe When You Make It!⭐
Hearty chicken noodle soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 thin chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 2 large celery stalks with leaves, sliced, about 1 cup
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half then sliced in moon shapes
- 1 cup savory cabbage, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 6 tsp better than bouillon roasted chicken can substitute store-bought chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp black ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 1/2 cups egg noodles or any small pasta you like I used small shells for this recipe
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
- lemon wedges for garnish optional
- frozen peas for garnish optional
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach optional
- Start by adding 7 cups of hot water to large bowl and stir in the better than bouillon paste until dissolved. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large stock pot to medium heat and add olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook stirring often about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric, ginger, thyme, rosemary and black pepper.
- Place chicken breast on top of the veggies and pour the chicken stock over the top. Stir and bring to a low boil. Cook about 10-12 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred or chop in small chunks.
- Add the chicken back to the pot along with the zucchini, cabbage and egg noodles. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-6 minutes, until noodles are al dente.
- Turn off heat and stir in spinach and fresh parsley. Taste to see if you need salt but I usually don't need any. This is optional but I like to squeeze fresh lemon to brighten the flavor and add in frozen peas to help cool off the soup. This just makes it more yummy and hearty!
A few of my favorite kitchen essentials used for this recipe.