Slow Cooker Pot Roast With potatoes and jalapenos
Jump to Recipe
My all time favorite Sunday supper. Post roast is the ultimate comfort food and takes me straight back to my childhood. My mom made roast nearly every Sunday. We’d come home from church and the house smelled so homey and cozy.
I had some fun with this pot roast recipe. I decided to swap out my usual carrots with sweet potatoes, and I added a generous amount of pickled jalapenos. My best friend was the first person I knew who ever served jalapenos along side her pot roast. It adds this slight bit of spicy (not too spicy) saltiness that you can’t get from anything else. Letting them slow cook with the roast really adds richness and flavor.
If you’re not a big fan of sweet potatoes, can I challenge you to try them again in this recipe. Both my husband and my daughter don’t like sweet potatoes, but they thought these were the most delicious carrots they had ever had with pot roast. 🤭 Suckas!
This roast is melt-in-your-mouth good and perfect for these cold winter months. Stay warm, friends!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Potatoes and Jalapenos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 oz packet, Lipton onion soup mix
- 2 tsp ranch seasoning mix, such as hidden valley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced pickled jalapenos, with 3 tablespoons of juice Not the extra hot jalapenos
- salt and pepper
- Combine onion soup mix, ranch seasoning, parsley, and thyme. Set aside
- Season roast with a little salt and pepper on both sides. You'll be adding additional seasoning so just a sprinkle of both.
- Heat a large deep pot or skillet to medium high heat and add olive oil and roast. Sear on both sides until browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Turn slow cooker to high and add sliced onions and water to the bottom. Place seared roast on top of the onions. Scatter potatoes around roast and sprinkle the seasoning all over roast and potatoes. Add sliced jalapenos and juice to the top. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 until roast is fall apart tender. Serve and spoon liquid from the slow cooker all over meat and potatoes.
Below you’ll find some of the products I used in this recipe. The link takes you directly to the products at no extra charge to you.