Skillet Chicken Spaghetti With Spinach
Creamy pasta and chicken in a rich tomato sauce with fresh spinach is impressive yet quick and easy. This healthy one-skillet meal takes 30-minutes and only requires a fork and a hungry appetite.Jump to Recipe
Traditional chicken spaghetti recipes are made with canned soup, heavy cream, and lots of cheese to achieve that creamy factor. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it’s nice to have a lighter option that still delivers all the flavor and creaminess. This recipe uses lite cream cheese, marinara sauce, and pasta water to create a velvety cream sauce. All this goodness coats tender pieces of chicken breast, pasta, and fresh spinach for a complete healthy meal!
The best part about this skillet chicken spaghetti is it can be prepared and eaten in about 30 minutes. The ingredients are minimal and the prep work requires very little effort. I love using my trusty microwave pasta maker for weeknight meals like this. It’s my go-to when I need dinner on the table fast. I love that I don’t have to wait for a big pot of water to come to a boil and it’s nice not having to wash an extra pan. Just pop the pasta in the microwave and it does all the work for you; it’s just too easy! One of the best kitchen tools my mom gifted me. Thanks mama!
Skillet Chicken Spaghetti with Spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast diced in small pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped fine
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought marinara pasta sauce I used Mezzetta brand (no added sugar, no preservatives and it's non-GMO
- 8 oz lite cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 lb spaghetti noodles cooked just under Al dente, about 7 minutes if using a pot of water. Pasta will finish cooking in sauce. See notes below for microwave cooking times with microwave pasta maker
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups pasta water
- Cook pasta about 7 minutes, just under Al dente. Reserve about 2 cups of the pasta water for the sauce.
- While the pasta cooks, heat a large skillet to medium high heat and add olive oil, onion and chicken pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add seasonings, marinara and softened cream cheese. Turn heat down to medium low and stir until cream cheese is melted. If the pan seems too hot, remove from the heat while you melt the cream cheese.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet and stir to coat all the noodles. Add in the spinach and 1 1/2 cups pasta water. Gently stir until all the spinach is wilted and the sauce is creamy and slightly thickened. If the sauce is too thick add more pasta water. Serve immediately!