Lasagna Soup Recipe
This Lasagna Soup Recipe has all the great flavors of classic layered lasagna only it’s easier to make and comes together in about 30-minutes. Made with ground turkey, spices, tomato sauce, egg noodles, and lots of cheese.Jump to Recipe
I love the flavors of lasagna but I couldn’t tell you the last time I actually put one together. They definitely take time to make and assemble, and more often these days, I’m looking for easy meals I don’t have to fuss over. When I get a craving for this kind of dish I usually make my no-bake lazy lasagna or we find a nearby Italian restaurant.
Lasagna Soup recipes have been circling the internet for quite some time and I finally got around to trying one. Guys, I understand the fuss over this soup! This deconstructed version of lasagna could not be any closer in taste and texture to the real thing. The broth is rich and meaty and the noodles simmer right in the pot so they soak up all that great tomato flavor. I top off each individual serving with a simple ricotta parmesan mixture, which is a must, and really drives home that lasagna flavor.
Ingredients For Lasagna Soup:
- Olive oil
- Lean ground beef or turkey
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato paste
- Crushed tomatoes
- Petite diced tomatoes
- Chicken stock
- Extra wide egg noodles
- Fresh parsley
- Mozzarella cheese
- Whole milk ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Lasagna Soup Is Customizable:
This soup has simple ingredients which make it easy for substitutions and using what you love or have on hand.
Ground Meat- Ground beef, turkey, or Italian sausage are great options for lasagna soup.
Add more garlic– If you love garlic flavor add in extra cloves or use garlic powder.
Chicken or beef Stock– I like the mild flavor of chicken stock but beef stock is also a great option for this recipe.
Wine- Add a splash of red wine or even a dry white for a richer and more concentrated flavor.
Noodles- Traditionally lasagna soup is made with broken lasagna noodles. I love to use egg noodles because it’s easier to pick up with a spoon but any small shape pasta will work.
Fresh herbs– Add fresh herbs like basil, oregano, or thyme. This is a great recipe to use up herbs from your garden.
Step by Step Instructions for Lasagna Soup:
Step 1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and cook ground meat breaking into crumbles until no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
Step 2. Add onion and garlic and cook until veggies are softened. Add seasonings and tomato paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes to give the ingredients a chance to bloom.
Step 3. Stir in tomatoes and stock and bring to a medium boil. Add noodles and cook just until al dente. Stir in fresh parsley or other fresh herbs.
Step 4. Combine ricotta and parmesan cheese until smooth and creamy. Ladle soup in serving bowls and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and dollops of the ricotta mixture.
Storing Lasagna Soup Leftovers:
This Lasagna Soup Recipe will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. If you want to freeze the leftovers place soup in a freezer safe container and freeze up to 4 months.
Can I make Lasagna Soup In The Slow Cooker?
Yes! Follow the steps up until adding the tomatoes and broth then place in a slow cooker. Add everything but the noodles, parsley, and cheeses. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3. Cook the noodles separately according to manufactures instructions following the al dente cooking time. Once the noodles are cooked add them to the soup during the last 20-minutes.
Other Soups You Might Enjoy:
Rate The Recipe⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I appreciate your comments and reviews! Be sure to leave a comment or rating below for suggestions, questions, or if you make the recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!
Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 1 large pot
For the soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (15) ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15) ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken or beef stock see notes
- 3 cups extra wide egg noodles see notes for other options
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl combine ricotta cheese and parmesan until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven to medium heat. Add olive oil and ground meat. Cook breaking into crumbles until no longer pink. Remove any excess grease.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until veggies have softened. Stir in seasonings and tomato paste. Cook another 2 minutes. This will bring out even more flavor by toasting the seasonings and tomato paste.
- Stir in canned tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a medium boil then add egg noodles. Cook 8- 10 minutes stirring occasionally until noodles are al dente. Be careful not to overcook the noodles so they hold their shape.
- Once noodles are cooked turn off the heat and add in parsley. Taste to adjust for seasonings.
How to serve lasagna soup:
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls. Top with a little mozzarella cheese then dollop with ricotta parmesan mixture. I usually do about 3 tablespoons rounds per bowl. See picture in the post.
- Ground Meat- Ground beef, turkey, or Italian sausage are great options.
- Add more garlic– If you love garlic flavor feel free to add a couple more cloves or as much as you like. Garlic powder will also work if you don’t have fresh cloves.
- Stock– I like the mild flavor of chicken stock but beef stock would be great for added beefy flavor.
- Wine- Add a splash of red wine or even a dry white for a richer and more concentrated flavor.
- Noodles- I love egg noodles because it’s easier to pick up with a spoon but broken lasagna noodles or other small pasta shapes will work as well!
- Fresh herbs– This is a great recipe to use up herbs from your garden. Basil, oregano, and thyme are a good compliment in this soup.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 24.3g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 9.8g||49%|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.3g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||13%|
|Total Sugars 7.1g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
Note: Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra charge to you.
This rich and mildly spiced Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate made with chocolate chips, half and half, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, and chili powder. Every sip is silky smooth, it’s like a big hug from heaven! Why You’ll Love Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate: When…
Cocktail Sweet and Sour Meatballs is a classic party food for all occasions. Made with simple homemade turkey meatballs and a 3-ingredient sweet and sour sauce. An easy appetizer everyone enjoys! What You’ll Love About Cocktail Sweet and Sour Meatballs: These Cocktail Sweet and Sour…
A deliciously sweet, salty, and sticky appetizer everyone will absolutely love and devour. Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts is the perfect one bite hors d’oeuvre. Crisp water chestnuts wrapped with bacon and smothered in a sweet chili sauce. So easy and so good! What You’ll Love…