Crash Hot Potatoes
Crash Hot Potatoes, also known as smashed potatoes, are a delicious fun side dish or party snack that everyone will love and enjoy. Baby red potatoes become crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Easy to make and impressive too!Jump to Recipe
I served Crash Hot Potatoes for a dinner party a few years ago with roasted chicken and the entire pan was devoured. This became one of our new favorite sides, and the best part is, they are easy to make and so good!
We love potatoes in all forms and smashed potatoes are just another fun way to enjoy them. The tops are brushed with melted butter or olive oil, and a simple seasoning of salt, pepper, ranch mix, and Italian seasoning; a little parmesan cheese, and the tops get nice and crispy, and the insides stay soft and tender.
They make a great side dish with chicken, beef, pork and fish; serve with brunch or a big green salad; and also make a fantastic appetizer or snack at a party. They are irresistible!
The Key To Perfectly Crispy Crash Hot Potatoes:
Use A Potato Masher. I have found that using a potato masher with holes (*affiliate link) gives the best results for a crispy potato. This is because the small holes in the masher capture some of potato that wind up creating little crispy bits on top. You can also use the bottom of a cup to mash the potato but you wont get the unique texture the masher offers. Either way though, they will still be delicious.
Seasoning Crash Hot Potatoes:
This is where you get creative with the flavor. These can be as simple with olive oil, salt and pepper, or use a variety of dried herbs and your favorite pantry seasonings. You really can’t go wrong.
What Kind Of Potato Can I Use?
Any kind of small baby potato works.
- Yukon gold
- Blue or purple
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
⭐Make Sure To Rate The Recipe When You Make It!⭐
Crash Hot Potatoes
- 1 lb baby red potatoes baby Yukon or purple potatoes work as well
- 2-3 tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ranch seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese optional
- chopped Italian parsley for garnish optional
- Add potatoes to large pot and fill with water just until potatoes are covered. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook 10-12 minutes until fork tender. You still want the skin to be intact. Be careful not to over cook.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix together the ranch, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in small dish.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and place on a large sheet pan lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Place potatoes an inch or two apart, and using a potato masher with holes (or the bottom of a cup) gently press down each potato until smashed. You'll want about 1/4 inch thickness once flattened. If using a masher, make sure to scrape the bits of potato off the masher and place on top of the smashed potato. This will create a crispier top.
- Brush a little melted butter or olive oil on each potato. Sprinkle generously with mixed seasonings and top with a little grated parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes until tops are golden and crispy. Sprinkle with parsley and serve right away or keep warm in oven until ready to serve. And don't forget to gather all the little loose bits off the pan and sprinkle on top of the potatoes just before serving. Yum!
- Dried herbs
- Spice blends
- Seasoning salts
- Purple or blue
Please note that some of the links on my website are affiliate links. Meaning, I receive a commission if you decide to purchase through my links at no extra cost to you! The product links at the bottom of my posts are products I’ve used and/or recommend.
4 thoughts on “Crash Hot Potatoes”
These are delicious and so easy to make for a big party dinner
Yes! Everyone loves a good crispy potato!
These were a favorite with my two teens and husband. Crispy and flavorful! I will definitely be making these again!