Low-Carb King Ranch Chicken Casserole
If you’re looking for a delicious low-carb meal that will please the whole family look no further. This quick and easy Low-Carb King Ranch Chicken Casserole is delicious comfort food in everyway. Loaded with chicken, veggies, and lots of cheese. A fantastic meal in under an hour!Jump to Recipe
Why You’ll Love This King Ranch Chicken Casserole:
- A fast and easy meal perfect for busy nights.
- Delicious and always a hit with the family.
- Great for the low-carber in your life.
- Total comfort food.
My husband has been eating lower carb foods for several months now. This is not a short term diet plan but rather a lifestyle change and just being more mindful about what and how many carbs he eats in a day. Naturally this has changed the way I cook, however, I am not low-carb, so I will continue to have a variety of recipes on my website, so no matter where you are in your health journey there is something to choose from.
I have actually had a lot of fun trying out new low-carb recipes on my family and this King Ranch Chicken Casserole was a major hit. Traditionally king ranch casserole does not actually have “ranch dressing” as an ingredient. “King Ranch chicken is a Tex-Mex casserole. Its name comes from King Ranch, one of the largest ranches in the United States”, google says, but I’m such a rebel! I broke the rules and added just a touch of ranch seasoning mix and guys, I’ve made it with and without it and the “with” is where it’s at! You don’t need a lot but it really adds depth of flavor and makes it even better in my opinion.
This recipe is also great if you have a rotisserie or leftover chicken from another meal. It’s so fast and easy to put together and it really needs nothing more than fresh avocado and a side salad. Your family, friends, or even if it’s just you enjoying this meal, will love it!
Ingredients For Low-Carb King Ranch Chicken Casserole:
- Avocado or olive oil
- Red bell pepper (or any color)
- Almond flour (blanched)
- Chicken stock
- Ranch seasoning mix (homemade or store-bought)
- Sour cream (light or full-fat)
- Salsa (mild or medium)
- Shredded chicken
- Colby Jack cheese (or other favorite cheese blend)
- Low-carb tortillas (5-inch)
What is the almond flour used for?
Almond flour is used in place of all-purpose flour to help thicken the chicken stock. Almond flour also adds a subtle nutty taste that gives this Low-Carb King Ranch Chicken Casserole extra flavor.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1. Preheat oven to 350℉ and prepare a 1.5 qt baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Step 2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and peppers and cook until onions are golden brown. Stir in almond flour and cook 2-3 minutes stirring often. Add chicken broth and allow liquid to thicken and reduce about 4-5 minutes.
Step 3. Once broth has thickened a bit turn off the heat and stir in ranch mix, salsa, and sour cream. Add chicken, cheese, and tortilla pieces. Stir to combine.
Step 4. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and smooth out in an even layer. Top with additional cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 25-minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15-minutes. Allow to rest for 5-minutes before serving.
What to serve with King Ranch Casserole:
This needs nothing more than maybe a side salad or steam your favorite veggies. We love to serve avocado slices over the top and sometimes hot sauce.
Make-ahead and freeze:
This is a great meal to make-ahead and freeze for another dinner. I use a disposable 9-inch square pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to store and freeze the casserole. These are nice to have on hand for make-ahead meals like this.
When ready to bake, place in preheated oven at 350 and bake covered for 1-hour, then remove the cover and bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Casserole will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other Low-Carb Friendly Meals:
- Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Skillet Meal
- Cauliflower Soup (low-carb)
- Creamy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Burger In A Bowl
Rate the Recipe⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I appreciate your comments and reviews! Be sure to leave a comment or rating below for suggestions, questions, or if you make the recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!
Low-Carb King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper or any color bell pepper
- 3 tbsp blanched almond flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp ranch seasoning mix homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup sour cream light or full-fat will work
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa your favorite brand or homemade
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese, divided
- 5 5-inch low-carb tortillas, cut in small 1-inch pieces or about 2 cups of low-carb tortilla pieces
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and prepare a 1.5 qt baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and peppers and cook until onions are golden brown. Stir in almond flour and cook 2-3 minutes stirring often. Add chicken broth and allow liquid to thicken and reduce about 4-5 minutes.
- Once broth has thickened a bit turn off the heat and stir in ranch mix, salsa, and sour cream. Add chicken, 1 cup of cheese, and tortilla pieces. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and smooth out in an even layer. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 25-minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15-minutes. Allow to rest for 5-minutes before serving.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 28.2g
|Saturated Fat 9.4g
|Total Carbohydrate 41.6g
|Dietary Fiber 23.1g
|Total Sugars 1.8g
|Vitamin D 0mcg
Note: Some of the links on my website are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra charge to you.